Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mailbox Mishap

After dealing with the whole water heater fiasco, Brian and I were in no mood to deal with anything else...this, unfortunately, was not to be.

The day after the water heater was installed and working, Brian came home to find that our mailbox had been hit and was barely standing up. There was no note and no other mailboxes had been hit in the neighborhood. When I got home, I went out to inspect it and noticed my teenage neighbor a couple of doors down getting into his SUV. I looked at him suspiciously (because at this point every young 'hooligan' is a suspect), but he ignored me and hopped into his car and left.

That evening I was upstairs on the computer when we got a knock on the door. I heard Brian answer the door and then about 5 minutes later he came upstairs to tell me that the mailbox mystery had been solved. The 16 year old neighbor girl, two houses down from us, apparently hit it while trying to back up. She was terrified to tell her mother, but finally fessed up and the knock on the door was her mother coming to apologize for her daughter's mistake. I found it odd that she didn't make her daughter come with her, but I was just relieved to find out that it was an accident and not some vandal.

2 days later, shortly after Brian got home from work, there was a knock at the door. When Brian opened the door there was the 16 year old holding a large decorated cookie with the words "I'm Sorry" written on it. She offered him the cookie and personally apologized for destroying the mailbox. I was happy to hear that she came over and apologized in person - the fact that the cookie was really good didn't hurt either!

No comments: