Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Surprise Visit to Iowa

My best friend Patti's father passed away on the Sunday before Memorial Day. Patti called me to let me know that the funeral would be on that Wednesday. I knew I had to go, but I kept it a secret from Patti. Lyle was like a second dad to me. He treated me like one of his own and one of my fondest memories of him was every summer when I visited Patti, he would make a point of going to the store to buy Captain Crunch for me, which was my favorite cereal.

Brian and I drove up there in a day and made it to the funeral with 10 minutes to spare! Brian was pulled over for speeding, so that delayed us. Thankfully the cop let him go with a warning. Patti was VERY suprised to see me and I was so happy to add some joy to a very sad day. After the funeral, Patti had a reception at her house and I was able to visit with her and her family and also got to see another childhood friend, Stacy. Unfortunately, I only got to spend one day with Patti, but it helps to know that I will be back next month for my family reunion and will get to hang out with Patti for a few days.


Best Friends


Patti's Mom, Patti and Lesa


Childhood Friends

No comments: